Our goal is to deploy our completed React mini app to Firebase by the end of the evening. So, this mini-session will move really fast and unlike our weekend workshops, I won't have time to stop and help, but if you install everything before Tuesday night you should be able to keep up.
It should only take about 30 minutes to install everything below. If you have questions, please contact me via email: email@example.com.
- Install a web development IDE
- For the workshop, I will be doing everything in WebStorm. If you are accustomed to a different IDE for web development, you may use it, but please know how to use it. I, unfortunately, won't be able to give you much advice on using any of IDEs there are available. WebStorm is a paid application but it has a 30-day free trial version available.
- Install Git
- We will be using Git Bundles for the workshop. They will allow us to advance through the course together and recover from hard to find coding bugs. The latest version is 2.11.0. If have it already, but your version is older than 2.6, please update it.
- Git is free.
- Install Node.js
- We need node.js installed on our development machines. If you have a version older than 6.9.4, please upgrade. I will be using node version 7.4.0.
- Upgrade npm
- NPM comes with node.js but the version installed is usually out of date with the current release. Please update it by entering the following command in the terminal:
- npm install npm -g
- Firebase is both a real-time database and a cloud hosting platform. They make it relatively easy to build "backend-less" websites. They have a FREE developer price tier called "Spark". It is a perfect place to stash your experiments. They are will be accessible publicly over HTTPS.
- Go to https://firebase.google.com then click "Pricing" from the top menu. Scroll down to the bottom of the page. On the first column, "SPARK" click the button, "START NOW". Complete the sign up for the free account.
- Install the firebase command line tools
- npm install -g firebase-tools
Please take care of everything on the list before the mini-session. We won't have time during it. If you have questions, please feel free to contact me by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.